This easy, protein rich recipe is great for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner. It involves several basic but essential culinary techniques: how to dice an onion, how to crack an egg, and how to scramble eggs.
For more vegetarian recipes for teens, check out Veggie Teens: A Cookbook and Guide for Vegetarian Teenagers by Elyse May (aka Veggie Teen).
Scrambled Egg Burritos with Veggie Sausage
2 veggie sausage patties (like Morningstar Farms)
1/4 cup diced onions (see Culinary Techniques: How to Dice an Onion)
1/4 cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste
2 6"-8" flour tortillas
2 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 tbsp)
Your favorite salsa (like Salsa Fresca from page 39 of Veggie Teens Cookbook)
- Spray a small skillet with non-stick spray and place over low heat.
- Cook veggie sausage patties according to the directions on the package. (I don't recommend microwaving them.)
- Remove patties, cut into small pieces, and keep warm.
- Spray the skillet with non-stick spray; add onions and cook until translucent.
- To scramble the eggs: Crack eggs into a small mixing bowl (see Culinary Techniques: How to Break an Egg)
- Add water, salt and pepper.
- Wisk egg mixture with a hand wisker in a circular motion.
- Add egg mixture to the non-stick pan and stir constantly until the eggs are set.
- Put the chopped sausage patties back into the pan and combine lightly.
- Place mixture on the tortilla.
- Top with cheese and salsa and fold tortilla over the filling.