One of the best ways you can help celebrate Earth Day is by eating vegetarian!
- It takes up to 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat
- It only takes 25 gallons of water to produce one pound of wheat
- A large amount of fossil fuels are needed in the production of meat: from the fuels used to grow the animals food to the gas used to transport the food across the country
- About a gallon of fuel goes into producing one pound of meat
- 20 pounds of soybeans are used to feed cows to produce one pound of meat; those soybeans could be used to feed many people
Celebrate Earth Day with this Oriental Salad!
Oriental Salad with Mandarin, Edamame, and Almonds
This colorful, delicious, and nutritious salad is easy to make with whatever ingredients you have on hand!
Red leaf lettuce
Red pepper, sliced (see Culinary Techniques:How to Cut a Red Pepper)
Cucumbers, cut in matchsticks
Green onions, sliced
Snow peas, chopped
Mandarin oranges, drained
Slivered almonds (or peanuts)
Seasame dressing (bottled or homemade from Veggie Teens: A Cookbook and Guide for Vegetarian Teenagers)
Assemble the ingredients on a plate or create a salad bar and let each person assemble their own.