Veggie Teens: A Cookbook and Guide for Teenage Vegetarians
By Elyse May, Michelle May MD, and Chef Owen May
Veggie Teens: A Cookbook and Guide for Teenage Vegetarians was written by Elyse May, a teenage vegetarian, when she was 14 years old - and updated when she was in college! It started as a school project but with a little help from her mom, a family physician, and her dad, a professional chef, it became a mission to help other teenage vegetarians and their families.
The 2nd edition of Veggie Teens features new photography and re-tested recipes in a convenient e-book!
Veggie Teens is for:
• Teenage vegetarians who love great food
• Teenagers who love to cook (or want to learn how)
• Teenagers who are considering becoming vegetarian but don’t know where to start
• Parents of vegetarians (even if they aren’t vegetarians themselves)
• Vegetarian kids and adults who like to cook
• Anybody looking for great plant-based recipes
• People who want to become great cooks
Veggie Teens includes:
• 110 pages
• 100 vegetarian recipes with hundreds of variations
• Over 55 vegan recipes and vegan variations
• Full color photos for every recipe - tons of new photos in the 2nd edition!
• 21 step-by-step Culinary How To instructions with photos
• Symbols indicating whether the recipe is suitable for vegan, lacto-, or ovo- vegetarians
• Teen’s Tips – Elyse’s notes about the recipes
• Chef’s Notes – Owen’s advice about food and culinary skills
• Doctor’s Notes – Michelle's health information about the recipes
• The e-book is the 2nd edition with tons of new, improved photos!
• The e-book is a PDF file (7 MB) so no paper was required to produce it
• It is delivered immediately by email - no waiting
• It is easy to download; just save in My Documents and you can access it anytime
• No wasted money, time, or fuel for shipping and delivery
• It is less expensive to produce so it is less expensive to buy
Veggie Teens voted Best Teen Book by the RadicalParenting.com Teen Team
One of the Best Vegetarian Cookbooks for Earth Day "A great resource for budding vegetarians at your house, with easy to follow directions for doing everything from sectioning a grapefruit or cutting an avocado to making a melon basket and melon balls. Recipes are simple and nourishing for such vegan offerings as Lemon Green Beans with Almonds to Grilled Veggie Pizza and Rustic Tomato Tart." -Dee Long, LA Food Examiner
"I am so impressed! The recipes look great, the page layout and pictures are very eye appealing and I love the Chef's Notes, Doctor's Notes, and Teen Tips."
-Terri Verason, MS, RD; Director of Nutrition Education, Dairy Council of Arizona; President, Arizona Dietetic Association
"What a wonderful and thorough guide for teens interested in exploring vegetarianism and families looking to increase their consumption of plant foods. Elyse's pictures of cooking techniques for new cooks and the section on foods that contain hidden animal products are especially helpful. The book is loaded with excellent nutritional information and best of all, tons of simple, satisfying and scrumptious recipes (not to mention healthful)--many of which can be prepared in minutes."
-Allison Davis, Founder of Your Green Gourmet (www.yourgreengourmet.com)
"I am absolutely loving the soups and salads section - these are the types of recipes I'm looking for, along with the sides, extras, and main eats. Fortunately, I don't have to pick just one! I love all the photos including the finished product as well as the various steps that go into a task. I also appreciate the straight forward way Elyse has explained how to do things."
I know from experience with my middle daughter that tweens go through this phase. And while I have to admit I don’t know much about being a vegetarian, my daughter has taken the steps to find out more about it. This cookbook and guide has been very helpful to her. From the Culinary How To, like how to poach an egg and how to make meringue to charting out the different types of vegetarians, this cookbook and guide is full of important information. And we made the Bluberry Peach Almond Crisp and it was awesome!!!
- Jennifer, The Dirty Shirt Blog
My teen and our family loves Veggie Teens! Thanks to Elyse for writing it (and to her parents for their assistance too) - great job! We are not vegetarian, but mindful eaters, and this is a excellent resource.
- Julie Wood, M.D.
We are using "Veggie Teens" as an elective for my 15 yr old son's homeschool! He loves to cook and I wanted to introduce this meat-lover to other protein sources and the tips that the "Chef" and the "Doctor" give. But I think he likes that the "Teen" always has the last word!
- Tricia (and Cory)