For the Fajitas:
1/2 cup pineapple juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp crushed red pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
1 1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
1 red onion, cut in half then sliced
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 can refried black beans
Flour and/or corn tortillas
Optional: Salsa, gaucamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce
For the Spanish Quinoa:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely minced
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp soy sauce
2 cups quinoa, rinsed per package directions
1 (8 oz.) can of unsalted tomato sauce
1 (14 oz.) can vegetable broth
Optional: minced cilantro for garnish
Combine the pineapple juice, soy sauce, crushed red pepper, and granulated garlic in a gallon zip lock bag.
- Add the sliced fajita veggies, shake well, and place in refrigerator while making the quinoa.
- In a large pan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat, then sauté the chopped onions and peppers for the quinoa for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and serrano pepper and continue sautéing for 2 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, black pepper, and soy sauce. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the quinoa and stir continuously for 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and broth. Stir until it reaches a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes
- While the quinoa is sitting, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat, add fajita veggies, a splash of marinade, and sauté until vegetables are tender.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork; add salt to taste.
- Assemble the fajitas. Fill tortillas with the veggies, beans, and your choice of salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cheese, or lettuce.
- Serve with the quinoa on the side or add it to your fajitas.